The new Billboard tally is inspired by Logitech’s Song Breaker Awards, which streamed on TikTok the day before the 63rd annual Grammy Awards in March. The inaugural awards presentation honored content creators for curating musical playlists and pop cultural moments, including artist breaker award winner 24kGoldn for his Hot 100-topping hit “Mood,” featuring iann dior; song breaker award recipient Surf Mesa for the Emilee-assisted hit “ily (i love you baby)”; and originator award recipients “Renegade” dance creator Jalaiah Harmon, “Savage” dance creator Keara Wilson and “Say So” dance creator Haley Sharpe.
Following the success of the awards show, which garnered more than half a million unique viewers, Billboard and Logitech developed the Song Breaker tally to further highlight creators’ impact on the music industry.
“We’re excited that this partnership with Billboard is taking what we started with the Song Breaker Awards a step further,” added Meridith Rojas, global head of entertainment and creator marketing at Logitech For Creators. “The Song Breaker Chart is the music industry recognizing creators as pop culture powerhouses, and celebrating TikTokers who propel songs into the music charts with dance challenges and creators who encourage their large audiences to join them in a trend.”
According to Rojas, the chart is all about recognition. “There is a big issue with credit not being given where it’s due right now on TikTok and IG,” she tells Billboard. “If a creator doesn’t feel like their work will be credited, it’s hard to be inspired to innovate and create. There is undeniable data pointing to the trends, challenges, and community driven [user-generated content] on TikTok and its impact on a song’s success.”
Lizzo and Jason Derulo are among the 20 content creators who are being honored on the inaugural edition of the Song Breaker Chart for the month of August, respectively for “Into the Thick of It” by The Backyardigans and “Jalebi Baby” by Tesher. Derulo’s official remix of “Jalebi Baby” catapulted the song higher on the Billboard Global Excl U.S. chart and Billboard Global 200 charts in late July, with a No. 50 peak on Global Excl. U.S. and No. 80 peak on Global 200.
“The music industry has changed and social media has been at the forefront of that change,” Derulo says in a quote to Billboard. “This chart is indicative of how powerful it is to have a presence online. Billboard, thank you for recognizing!”
Vanessa Clark, who debuts at No. 2 on this month’s tally with her popular glitching trend set to “Get Ur Freak On” by Missy Elliott and “Kurxxed Emeraldz” by Luci4, said in a statement: “I never thought of being on a chart, it’s like a next-level type of popular. Music brings the best out of us, especially weird dance moves. With the glitch, it was me doing random moves to songs with amazing beats like Missy Elliott’s ‘Get Ur Freak On’ and Luci4’s ‘Kurxxed Emeraldz.’ If you have a weird dance move that you want to pair with a song, make a TikTok about it, no need to be shy, be you. You never know, it might become a trend!”
Logitech For Creators’ Rojas says the creators on the inaugural Song Breaker Chart are “today’s pop culture curators. There is more content than ever before at our fingertips yet they’re cutting through the noise. First there was DJs on the radio, then VJs on MTV, and now I’d say TikTokers are reigning supreme with their impact on music.”
Here are the total rankings from August’s Song Breaker Chart:
1. Usim E. Mang @usimmango – originator of the synchronized sway to “Alors on Danse” by Stromae
2. Vanessa Clark @glitchgirlmaster – popularized the “glitching” trend to “Get Ur Freak On” by Missy Elliott and “Kurxxed Emeraldz” by Luci4
3. Bob Vivid @bobbyvvivid – “Talk To Me” meme to “Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin’)” by T-Pain feat. Yung Joc
4. Zoi Lerma @zoifishh – “Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)” by Doja Cat
5. Walker Hayes @walkerhayesofficial – “Fancy Like”
6. Layla Marie @layzchipz – “Twerkulator” by City Girls
7. Milli Debrito @debrito_bunch – “To the guy/girl…” meme to “Never Forget You” by Noisettes
8. Berta Alonso @bertualonso – #VHStape challenge to “Marlboro Nights” by Lonely God
9. Noah Beck @noahbeck – “Dinero” by Trinidad Cardona
10. Lizzo @lizzo – “Into the Thick of It” by The Backyardigans
11. Saucy Santana @saucysantana – “Walk”
12. Cameron Walker @spicekingcam – “Punk Monk” by Playboi Carti
13. @abgag1111 – “All Eyes on Me” by Bo Burnham
14. Jason Derulo @jasonderulo – “Jalebi Baby” by Tesher
15. SEB @sebs_lovesongs – “Seaside Demo”
16. William White @whiteyy18 – “Into the Night” by Benny Mardones
17. Josh Richards @joshrichards – “Drip Like a Faucet” by Yosh Hollywood
18. Jerimiah Chun-li @cityboyj – “Track Star” by Mooski
19. Alex Guzman @blesiv – “Bills Bills Bills” by Destiny’s Child
20. Ally @ali.scyn – “Dick” by Starboi3 feat. Doja Cat
The Song Breaker Chart will update on the second Tuesday of every month. The chart ranks the top content creators on social media platforms including TikTok and YouTube, which have often churned out hits on the Billboard Hot 100. The freshly minted monthly chart is created by combining engagement and view data from such social platforms, provided by analytics partner Shareablee, with streaming and sales data provided by MRC Data.